Last night I was truly gourmet..this is what I had for dinner. True Love Dinner. While it was Valentine’s Day, I left the fancy for the familiar.
Grilled Cheese is one of my earliest food memories. While I believe it is hard to screw up a grilled cheese sandwich, I have had a few that are not so good. My dad always made the best. I don’t know if it was his technique of waiting to put the top piece of bread on before he flipped it, using crappy cheese (Kraft Singles individually wrapped- is it really cheese? I think it’s a “processed cheese product” Uh no.) or if he just made it with lots of love. Either way, it’s still one of my favorite comfort foods.
While he passed away when I was nine of cancer, a grilled cheese sandwich still brings back lots of love. Climbing to the top of the Statue of Liberty. Seeing every Indian Burial Ground in America (snore.) Building forts in the woods. Walking up to the gas station, up hill both ways in the snow, to buy candy. Decorating my bike for the 4th of July parade. Putting a box on top of a skateboard and flying down the steep driveway, careening in to the woods across the street (it was the ’70’s adult supervision and safety were overrated. Be home by dusk.)
Grilled Cheese Variations to get the blood and cholesterol pumping:
1. Add some slices of bacon and avocado. Maybe a slather of ranch dressing. LOORRDY.
2. Thinly sliced tomato inbetween the melty cheese layers.
3. Sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions thrown in.
4. Use ‘spensive cheese: Jarlsberg, Gruyere, maybe Camembert and sliced sweet apple.
5. Super deluxe: Cheese, Tomato. Lobster. Like this little number I drooled all over in Toronto last year.
So Happy (belated) Valentine’s Day. Love your Loved Ones. And give ’em extra squeezes and kisses.